I have only been belly dancing for a few months, but I am preparing for my first performance. Music and costumes selected my me and my dance partner; we're creating our own choreography as well. This is quite interesting because we are both quite new to belly dance. However, she has a lot of previous dance experience and I have more belly dance experience under my belt, so we have quite a balanced dance relationship. It is quite enjoyable experiencing this with another dancer who is new to belly dance, and it is a challenge doing everything ourselves.
Going through this process is really helping me learn the art of improvisation...and I am paying closer attention when I listen to the music. My goal is not simply to move to the beat, but to actually articulate the music into movement.
Anyway, my dance partner and I chose our costumes this past Friday...they are so pretty! They are not too formal (this event will be outside) but they are not too casual either. We won't enveloped in a ton of material but we won't be showing all of our skin either. I will post pictures of the costumes when we have our dress rehearsal.
I am enjoying this experience because it gives me the opportunity to apply the techniques I learned in belly dance class. It is great to see that my dance partner and I can create something on our own :)
No comments:
Post a Comment